Celebrate the Mom or special Mom figure in your life on Mother's Day! The beginning of May is always a beautiful time in our area -- flowers are blooming, the weather is usually mild and sunny, and we're all celebrating being released from another LONG winter. See our list of ideas below to create an amazing day to celebrate Mom. It includes gift ideas, activities, special meals, places to go, and crafts to make. There's something for everyone!
- Pick up a picnic lunch from a local sandwich or gourmet shop and head to a beautiful green space to spread out and relax. Some options: Great Brook Farm State Park in Carlisle, Livingston Park on Livingston St in Tewksbury, Shedd Park in Lowell, Vietnam Veterans Park in Billerica, Veterans Memorial Park in Dracut, the Town Common or Roberts Field/Friendship Park in Chelmsford, and Fay Park in Littleton.
- Plan an at-home paint activity with Yaymaker. The whole family can create and have fun together!
- Set up an outdoor projector and screen and watch a favorite family movie. Don't forget the popcorn and Mom's favorite treats!
- Go crafting with Mom at Magic Brush Pottery & Fused Glass, Art Signals, Plaster Fun Time, Pinot's Palette or Periwinkle Glassworks.
- Take Mom to the beach for the day. Gloucester, Rockport, Salem and Salisbury are all an hour away. A couple of years ago we went to Plum Island on Mother's Day and it was a gorgeous, hot, perfect beach day! Afterwards, enjoy a delicious seaside dinner.
- Ask Mom for a list of 5-10 things she has been wanting to get done at the house. Come together as a family and help her out by getting most or all of those tasks crossed off her list. It will totally make her day!
- Share some special time with Mom, whether it's just drinking a cup of tea, baking cookies, planting some container gardens, or visiting a museum. She will love having time with you.
- Plan a Broadway evening -- theater is back! See our Theater Guide for upcoming shows (we mostly list family-friendly shows in the Guide, so be sure to click through to the theater websites to see other show options too). Or plan at at-home Broadway evening. Has Mom been wanting to see Hamilton? Now's her chance. Make it a special occasion with treats and champagne at intermission.
- Spring-clean the garden and plants seeds and seedlings as a surprise for Mom.
- Book tickets for Wicked Tulips Flower Farm and spend the day exploring the fields and picking a bouquet of stunning tulips.
- It's grilling season! Pick up some amazing meats at Alpine Butcher or Meat Again and grill up a special meal for Mom. Don't forget the fire pit and s'mores!
- Mother's Day is a day for Mom to indulge, and to me that means donuts! Treat Mom to a decadent breakfast -- coffee, a delicious egg dish, and a variety of donuts from one of the fabulous donut shops in our area, such as Top Donut, Donna's Donuts, or The Donut Shack. Even Market Basket is known for their fantastic donuts.
- Check our Recipe Box for some family-friendly recipes to make at home with the kids and serve to Mom. Our favorites:
- Slow Cooker Breakfast Scramble -- for an easy and delicious special breakfast
- Banana Crumb Cake Muffins
- French Toast Casserole
- Sweet Sticky Monkey Bread
EASY LUNCH or DINNER
Gather the kids and make some special crafts to give to Mom on Mother's Day:
- DIY Stepping Stones featuring the kids' handprints
- Use this Thankful Board idea and make a board of all the reasons you're thankful for Mom.
- A Dozen Roses for Mom featuring handprints
- Butterfly Feet featuring footprints
- Felt Flowers
Pick up a special gift or treat for Mom at:
- Facets Etc, 30A Hollis St, Groton
- Covered Bridge Home Interiors, 101 Andover Rd, Billerica
- Artisans Exchange, 24 Central Sq, Chelmsford
- Mrs. Nelson's Candy House, 292 Chelmsford St, Chelmsford
- Sweet Lydia's, 160 Merrimack St, Lowell
- Especially Sweet Needs, 61 Central Square, Chelmsford
- See our Shop Local Guide for more suggestions
Have a wonderful Mother's Day!
Lowell Macaroni Kid is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in the greater Lowell area.
We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week, and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve 11,000+ families in Lowell, Dracut, Chelmsford, Westford, Tyngsboro, Dunstable, Littleton, Groton, Billerica, Tewksbury, and other surrounding communities.
Subscribe today to receive our email newsletter every Wednesday!
Advertise with us to connect with thousands of local families!