Updated for 2021
Summer will be be here before you know it and, with it, a bounty of locally-grown vegetables and fruits. Now is the time to sign up for a CSA share at a local farm. Many CSA shares sell out quickly, so be sure to inquire and complete the appropriate forms soon. Note that payment is required upfront for all CSAs.
What is a CSA? A Community-Supported Agriculture program allows farm customers to sign up to pay for their share of the harvest upfront, then receive the produce later in the season when it becomes available. The advance income is a boon for farmers so that they can invest in their farms. CSA customers do take some risk that there may be a poor growing season and that the harvest of some crops may be affected. Conversely, good years will result in a large crop to share with CSA customers, with extra produce shares.
If a CSA is not right for your family, due to budget or picky vegetable eaters, look for the Farmers Market Guide on our website and in our newsletters throughout the summer and fall.
Here are local CSA programs that are either located in our area or deliver to Farmers Markets nearby.
437 Parker Rd, Dracut MA
- Spring shares, Small and Regular Summer vegetable shares, Summer fruit shares, Spring, Summer and Late Fall bakery shares, and Late Fall vegetable shares.
- Can add on honey, jams and other farm products.
- Pick up at the farm in Dracut or Hill Orchards in Westford, or at locations (often Farmers Markets) in Beverly, Burlington, Cambridge, East Boston, Gloucester, Jamaica Plain, Lawrence, Malden, Andover, Quincy, Reading, Somerville, Tewksbury, or Wilmington.
591 Great Rd, Littleton MA
- Spring Brook's "CSA" is different from other farms. Purchase a Freedom Shares coupon booklet for $275 and use it to purchase $300 of produce, meats, eggs, etc. at their store. Purchase only the items you want.
- Pickup at the farm.
571 Great Rd, Littleton MA
- Vegetable shares with add-on egg, flower, greens and fruit shares.
- Single, small and full shares available.
- Pick up at the farm, 6 days a week
14 Davis Rd, Tyngsborough
- One size share available (recommended for a family of 4)
- Pick up at the farm on Mondays or Wednesdays
185 Concord St (CSA location), Carlisle
Market: 201 Bedford Rd, Carlisle
- Certified organic farm
- Shares available: Full Season, Early Season, Late Season, Winter, Pick-Your-Own, Flower, Egg, Tree Fruit, Mushroom, Pork, Beef, Lamb
- Pick up at Concord St farm on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays
Do you know of another CSA located in our area or with pickup locations in Lowell, Chelmsford, Westford, Billerica, Tewksbury, Dracut, Littleton, Groton, Tyngsboro and Dunstable? Please email information to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Lowell Macaroni Kid is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in the greater Lowell area.
We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week, and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve 11,000+ families in Lowell, Dracut, Chelmsford, Westford, Tyngsboro, Dunstable, Littleton, Groton, Billerica, Tewksbury, and other surrounding communities.
Subscribe today to receive our email newsletter every Wednesday!
Advertise with us to connect with thousands of local families!