Suncatchers are a great way to brighten up those dreary winter days!
Make these Valentine’s Day suncatchers with your kids to spread a little love around the house this month, or gift them to grandparents, teachers, or anyone else your child loves! These Valentine's Day suncatchers are easy to make and use supplies you most likely already have on hand.
Valentine's Day Suncatcher
- 2 paper plates
- 1 coffee filter
- Red paint
- Washable markers
- 1 cotton ball (or spray bottle of water)
- Tape or glue
- String or yarn (optional)
See how we made it:
- Cut hearts (the same size) out of both paper plates. The paper plates will serve as the frame for your suncatcher, so the cut out hearts should be a little smaller than the coffee filter.
- Paint the plates and let them dry.
- Use the washable markers to create a design on the coffee filter. Be creative!
- Run the cotton ball under water, then squeeze out some of the excess. It should be wet, but not dripping. Dab the cotton ball all over the coffee filter to moisten it, causing the colors bleed together. Let the coffee filter dry completely. (You can also use a spray bottle instead of the cotton ball!)
- Glue or tape the coffee filter between the two paper plates.
- Tape the suncatcher to a window that gets a lot of sunlight. Or, you can punch a hole through the top of the paper plates and loop string or yarn through it. Hang the suncatcher outside in a place that gets a lot of sunlight.
Lowell Macaroni Kid is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in the greater Lowell area.
We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week, and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve 10,000+ families in Lowell, Dracut, Chelmsford, Westford, Tyngsboro, Dunstable, Littleton, Groton, Billerica, Tewksbury, and other surrounding communities.
Subscribe today to receive our email newsletter every Wednesday!
Advertise with us to connect with thousands of local families!