My family is so inconsistent with fruit. One week apples disappear, and the next week they'll sit untouched. Bananas are another fruit that is either consumed instantly or left untouched for a week.
On those weeks when the bananas just sit on the counter getting a little too ripe? That's a good excuse to make chocolate banana bread!
Mabelin Santos via Canva
Chocolate banana bread always disappears from my kitchen — without exception.
Bonus: My favorite recipe for chocolate banana bread is both egg and dairy-free.
Chocolate Banana Bread
- 2-3 overripe bananas, mashed (about 2 cups)
- 2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar (white or cider will do)
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk (almond, coconut, cashew, soy, etc.)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 3/4 cup flour (you can use gluten-free flour)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free mini chocolate chips (optional)
NoirChocolate via Canva
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together banana, vanilla extract, vinegar, milk, and maple syrup. Set aside.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, and mix until just combined. Spread into a loaf pan and smooth the top. If using chocolate chips, you can sprinkle them on top of the batter.
- Bake for 50 minutes without opening the oven door.
- Allow the bread to cool completely before cutting.
- Store in refrigerator. The leftovers are even better the next day!
Lowell Macaroni Kid is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in the greater Lowell area.
We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week, and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve 10,000+ families in Lowell, Dracut, Chelmsford, Westford, Tyngsboro, Dunstable, Littleton, Groton, Billerica, Tewksbury, and other surrounding communities.
Subscribe today to receive our email newsletter every Wednesday!
Advertise with us to connect with thousands of local families!