This recipe is great because you use one cookie dough to create an endless variety of cookies. Just add your favorite toppings.
They are so cute when finished, they look like a box of chocolates! Wrap them up in a box and deliver them to friends, neighbors or loved ones. Perfect for this time of year!
Basic Cookie Recipe
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 egg whites (reserved for later)
- Various toppings (see below for variations)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cream butter. Add sugar and mix until combined. Add egg yolks and vanilla and mix well. Now add cocoa powder and half the flour, mix. Add as much of remaining flour until mixture forms a ball or cookie dough.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. (No parchment paper? That's OK, just be sure to grease your cookie sheets).
- Roll dough balls in egg whites then in your choice of topping; sprinkles, nuts, coconut...are just a few examples. Some cookies may not require toppings, you can just leave these as is.
- Use your thumb to make an indentation in each dough ball.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until bottoms are lightly browned. *Note, some cookie recipes will require putting toppings on in the last few minutes of baking, to melt the toppings.
- Transfer to cooling rack and top as desired.
Chocolate Covered Cherry - Roll dough balls in egg whites then chocolate sprinkles. Add cherry pie filling just before baking. Bake as directed.