This edible centerpiece also makes quite an impression on kids of all ages! What a clever way to present and serve your favorite snack foods for the appetizer before the big meal. Make it for your Thanksgiving party or dinner table; it is easy and fun to make, and the kids can help! Create your own version using your favorite ingredients that your family loves. It took me about 30min to make the one pictured... and only 5 min for the 3 of us to gobble it up!
- melon such as honeydew (make sure to pick something you can easily stick toothpicks into)
- your favorite cheese (cubed)
- multi-colored peppers such as red, orange and yellow
- 2 blueberries or raisins
- bamboo skewers
- paring knife
- If you need to stabilize the melon on the platter, cut a flat bottom to form a base.
- Using a toothpick or piece(s) of skewer, attach the pear to the melon. The two form the head and body of the turkey.
- Cut the red pepper to shape for the feet of the turkey. Tuck in place under the melon.
- Cut the rest of the red pepper (leave some for the waddle) and other colored peppers you're using into strips. Use toothpicks to pin the pepper strips to form a row of feathers behind the turkey's head.
- Make skewers out of grapes and cubed cheese or any of your favorite snack ingredients. Other ingredient suggestions: melon balls, olives, grape tomatoes, blueberries, banana slices, etc. Insert the skewers into the melon behind the peppers.
- Add the details to the turkey's face. I used two blueberries for the eyes, a red pepper strip for the waddle and a cheese triangle for the beak. Use toothpics to pin these on.
Serve and enjoy!